Table of Content
- 01 GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Exam Latest News & Notification
- 02 GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Important Dates
- 03 GATE EE 2023 Eligibility Criteria
- 04 GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Exam Pattern Highlights
- 05 GATE Electrical Engineering 2023 Exam Sections
- 06 GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Marking Scheme
- 07 GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Question Types
- 08 GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Questions
- 09 GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Syllabus
- 10 Weightage of Different Sections in Previous Years' GATE EE Exam
- 11 Important Books for GATE Electrical Engineering 2023
- 12 GATE EE Previous Year Question Papers
- 13 Previous Year GATE EE Question Paper Analysis
- 14 GATE Electrical Engineering Cutoff Over the Years
- 15 How to Apply for GATE EE 2023 Exam?
- 16 GATE EE Admit Card Overview
- 17 GATE 2023 EE Results
- 18What is the Scope After GATE 2023 EE?
- 19 GATE Electrical Engineering Exam FAQs
- 20 How VISHWA Can Help You
GATE Electrical Engineering (EE) Exam 2023
Everything You Need to Know About GATE 2023 Electrical Exam
The GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering exam will be conducted by IIT Kanpur in the 1st or 2nd week of February 2023. Candidates aspiring to attempt the GATE exam are advised the apply for them visiting the GOAPS portal.
Now that you know the exam date, it is a perfect time to start your preparation ahead. Candidates will have lots of doubts about paper pattern, cut off marks, eligibility criteria, etc. So, we have created this article to clear your queries. Let's get started!
All About the GATE 2024 Electrical Engineering 2023 Exam
- 1. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Exam Latest News & Notification
- 2. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Important Dates
- 3. GATE EE 2023 Eligibility Criteria
- 4. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Exam Pattern Highlights
- 5. GATE Electrical Engineering 2023 Exam Sections
- 6. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Marking Scheme
- 7. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Question Types
- 8. GATE 2023 Electrical Exam Questions Design
- 9. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Syllabus
- 10. Weightage of Different Sections in Previous Years' GATE EE Exam
- 11. Important Books for GATE Electrical Engineering 2023
- 12. GATE EE Previous Year Question Papers
- 13. Previous Year GATE EE Question Paper Analysis
- 14. GATE Electrical Engineering Cutoff Over the Years
- 15. How to Apply for GATE EE 2023 Exam?
- 16. GATE EE Admit Card Overview
- 17. GATE 2023 EE Results
- 18. What is the Scope After GATE 2023 EE?
- 19. GATE Electrical Engineering Exam FAQs
- 20. How VISHWA Can Help You
1. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Exam Latest News & Notification
The GATE exam will be conducted by IIT Kanpur and the official notification for GATE 2023 will be released in the first week of September 2022. The online GATE 2023 application form is expected to be out in the October 2022.
Check the below table to know the latest updates.
|Announcement of result||Mar 17, 2023|
|Answer Key||Feb 21, 2022|
|GATE 2023 Schedule||Available now|
|Registration process||October 3, 2022|
|Admit Card release date||Jan 15, 2023|
|Registration will begin||Sep 2, 2022|
2. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Important Dates
IIT Kanpur will conduct the GATE Electrical Engineering exam in the first or second week of February. Candidates can refer the below list to know the important dates of the GATE exam.
|GATE 2023 Official Notification||1st week of September 2022|
|GATE 2023 Announcement date for registration||1st week of September 2022|
|Last date to register for GATE 2023||2nd week of October 2022|
|GATE 2023 Form Correction||2nd week of November 2022|
|GATE 2023 Admit Card Release||1st week of January 2023|
|GATE 2023 Exam Date||1st and 2nd week of February 2023|
|GATE 2023 Answer Key||2nd week of March 2023|
|GATE 2023 Result||3rd week of March 2023|
|GATE 2023 Counselling||1st week of May 2023|
3. GATE EE 2023 Eligibility Criterias
The conducting authority IIT Kanpur has released the eligibility criteria along with tentative dates and exam notification. Candidates can check them and continue to apply for the GATE EE exam.
- Minimum Educational Qualification: Students who have completed the 10th, 12th, & an undergraduate degree or are currently in the third year of their undergraduate program are eligible.
- Degree Requirements: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Technology, or Post Graduation in a relevant discipline.
- Age Limit: No Upper Age Limit.
- Nationality: Indian, Foreign, or NRI.
GATE EE 2023 Requirement for Foreign or NRI Students
Students living outside India can take GATE EE exam by meeting the following requirement.
- Candidates must hold the bachelor's degree in Engineering Technology.
- An undergraduate currently in a third or a final year of the relevant course can apply.
4. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Exam Pattern Overview
The GATE exam is conducted for 3 hours and has a total of 65 questions for 100 marks. Candidates can check the particulars and details from the table below.
|Examination Mode||Online - Computer-Based Test|
|No. of Questions||65|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours (180 Minutes)|
|Number of Sections||3 (General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics, Civil Engineering Topics)|
|Section-wise Weightage||General Aptitude - 15 Marks Engineering Mathematics - 13 Marks Technical Subjects - 72 Marks|
|Marking Scheme||1/2 Marks for each correct answer|
5. GATE Electrical Engineering 2023 Exam Sections
GATE Electrical Engineering 2023 Exam paper is divided into three sections namely,
- General Aptitude,
- Engineering Mathematics, and
- Technical Subject (Electrical)
Know the subject-wise weightage from this table.
|GATE Electrical 2023 - Section||Number of Questions||Marks|
|Electrical Engineering Topics||45||72|
6. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Marking Scheme
The marking system for different types of GATE questions is as follows:
|Type of Question||Marking for Correct Answer||Negative Marking Scheme|
|MCQs||1 or 2 Marks||1/3 Marks for 1 Mark Questions 2/3 Marks for 2 Mark Questions|
|MSQs||1 or 2 Marks||No Negative Marking|
|NATs||1 or 2 Marks||No Negative Marking|
7. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Question Types
GATE Electrical exam has three question types: MCQ, MSQ, and NAT.
Multiple Choice Questions: Candidates should pick a correct answer from the list of 4 available options.
Multiple Select Questions: Candidates should select multiple correct answers from the available options.
Numerical Answer Types: Candidates are required to enter a numerical value as an answer.
8. GATE 2023 Electrical Exam Questions Design
The questions will be asked from the listed types to test the ability of the candidate.
Comprehension: This question type will cover the fundamental ideas of electrical engineering topics through which students will choose a simple conclusion.
Recall: This type is based on the formulas you have learned in the concepts. You will be asked to solve the answer using those formulas.
Application: With this question type, you will get logical reasoning or computation problems.
Analysis: You will be asked to analyze your given data and conclude based on synthesis.
Linked Answer Question: Create a problem statement through which some of the questions can be answered. The marking system for these types of questions carries 2 marks.
Common Data Problems: In this question, various problems are coordinated with common data through which there can be a unique solution.
9. GATE 2023 Electrical Engineering Syllabus
The candidates must check the syllabus first before creating a study plan. From the below list, you can refer the topics included in the syllabus to formulate a study plan. Click here to download the syllabus.
|Name||Topics included in the Syllabus|
|Electric Circuits||Network solution methods - KCL, KVL, Node and Mesh analysis. Network elements - dependent sources, ideal voltage and current sources R, L, C, M elements. Network Theorems - Superposition and Maximum Power Transfer theorem, Thevenin's, Norton's; Transient response of dc and ac networks, sinusoidal steady-state analysis, resonance, two port networks, balanced three phase circuits, complex power, star-delta transformation, and power factor in ac circuits.|
|Electromagnetic Fields||Electric Field Intensity, Electric Flux Density, Gauss's Law, Divergence, Coulomb's Law, Electric field and potential due to point, line, plane and spherical charge distributions, Effect of dielectric medium, Capacitance of simple configurations, Biot-Savart's law, Ampere's law, Curl, Faraday's law, Magnetomotive force, Lorentz force, Inductance, Reluctance, Magnetic circuits, Self and Mutual inductance of simple configurations.|
|Signals and Systems||Representation of continuous and discrete time signals, linear time invariant and causal systems, shifting and scaling properties, Fourier series representation of continuous and discrete time periodic signals, sampling theorem, Laplace Transform and Z transform, Applications of Fourier Transform for continuous and discrete-time signals,|
|Electrical Machines||Three-phase transformers: connections, vector groups, parallel operation. Single-phase transformer - equivalent circuit, phasor diagram, open circuit and short circuit tests, regulation, and efficiency. Auto-transformer, Electromechanical energy conversion principles. Three-phase induction machines - torque-speed characteristics, principle of operation, types, performance, starting and speed control, no-load and blocked-rotor tests, equivalent circuit. Operating principle of single-phase induction motors. DC machines- series and shunt, motoring and generating mode of operation, separately excited, and their characteristics, speed control of dc motors. Synchronous machines- starting of synchronous motors, cylindrical and salient pole machines, characteristics and performance, regulation, and parallel operation of generators; Types of losses and efficiency calculations of electric machines|
|Power Systems||Basic concepts of electrical power generation, ac and dc transmission concepts, Models and performance of transmission lines and cables, Series and shunt compensation, Distribution systems, Per-unit quantities, Bus admittance matrix, Electric field distribution and insulators, Gauss- Seidel and Newton-Raphson load flow methods, Voltage and Frequency control, Power factor correction, Symmetrical components, Symmetrical and unsymmetrical fault analysis, Circuit breakers, Equal area criterion, System stability concepts, Economic Load Dispatch. Principles of over-current, differential, distance and directional protection.|
|Control Systems||Feedback principle, Mathematical modeling and representation of systems, transfer function, Block diagrams and Signal flow graphs, Transient, Stability analysis using Routh-Hurwitz and Nyquist criteria, Steady-state analysis of linear time-invariant systems, Bode plots, Root loci, Lag, Lead and Lead-Lag compensators; P, PI and PID controllers; State-space model, Solution of state equations of LTI systems, Average value calculation for any general periodic waveform, R.M.S. value.|
|Electrical and Electronic Measurements||Bridges and Potentiometers, Current, power, Measurement of voltage, Power factor, and Energy; Instrument transformers, Digital voltmeters and multimeters, Oscilloscopes, Phase, Time, and Frequency measurement; Error analysis|
|Analog and Digital Electronics||Simple diode circuits- clamping, clipping, rectifiers. Amplifiers- biasing, frequency response, and equivalent circuit. Operational amplifiers, Oscillators and feedback amplifiers; characteristics and applications; Sallen Key, single stage active filters, combinatorial and sequential logic circuits, Butterworth, VCOs and timers, multiplexers, demultiplexers, sample and hold circuits, Schmitt triggers, A/D and D/A converters.|
|Power Electronics||Static V-I characteristics and firing, Gating circuits for Thyristor, MOSFET, IGBT; DC to DC conversion: Buck, Boost and Buck-Boost Converters; Single and three-phase configuration of uncontrolled rectifiers; Magnitude and Phase of line current harmonics for uncontrolled and thyristor based converters; Voltage and Current commutated Thyristor based converters; Bidirectional ac to dc voltage source converters; Power factor and Distortion Factor of ac to dc converters; Sinusoidal pulse width modulation, Single-phase and three-phase voltage and current source inverters.|
10. Weightage of Different Sections in Previous Years' GATE EE Exam
Check the subject-wise weightage for previous years' EE exam. Knowing the subject weightage helps you to allot different time and efforts to topics carrying more and less marks.
|Topics||Weightage GATE EE 2021||Weightage GATE EE 2020||Weightage GATE EE 2019|
|Signals and Systems||8||9||4|
11. Important Books for GATE Electrical Engineering 2023
Going to the library or a bookstore to get best books is essential to prepare for the GATE exam. Listed below are some of the recommended books that one must attain.
|Analog||Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory||Boylestad|
|Control system||Control Systems Engineering||Nagrath and Gopal|
|Circuit analysis||Transient Analysis of Electric Power Circuits||Arieh L Shenkmann and Chakrabarthi|
|Digital Circuits||Digital Electronics||Digital Design by M.Morris Mano|
|Electromagnetics||Elements of Electromagnetics|
|Mathew N. O. Safiku|
|Engineering Mathematics||Advanced Engineering Mathematics||E.Kreyszig|
|Power system||Power Systems Engineering|
|Nagrath and Kothari|
JB Gupta and CL Wadhwa
|Power Electronics||Power Electronics for Beginners|
|Networks||Engineering Circuit Analysis||Hayt and Kemmerly|
|ProblemnSolving||GATE Electrical||RK Kanodia|
|Measurement||Electrical and Electronic||AK Sawhney|
12. GATE EE Previous Year Question Papers
IIT Kanpur will soon release the GATE 2023 Electrical exam paper soon. However, the candidates can prepare the previous year question papers and analyze your performance. Candidates can download the previous year question pdf from the table below.
13. Previous Year GATE EE Question Paper Analysis
Candidates can check the highlights from GATE EE paper analysis from the following and understand the difficulty level of the exam and prepare accordingly. There were no MSQ in GATE 2022 EE paper.
- GATE EE 2022
- Difficulty Level: Moderate.
- Total Number of MSQs: Nil.
- Total Number of NAT: 22.
- Total Number of MCQs: 33.
- The highest mark weightage was given to Power Electronics, Control Systems, Power Systems, Electrical Machines, Signal & Systems.
- The General Aptitude section was Easy to Moderate.
- The Electromagnetic field questions were tough.
- GATE EE 2021
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Total Number of MSQs: Nil.
- Total Number of NAT: 31
- Total Number of MCQs: 24.
- The highest mark weightage was given to Power Systems and Electric Circuits.
- Difficult scoring topics: Electrical Machines and Control Systems.
- The General Aptitude section was Easy.
- The Engineering Mathematics difficulty level: Easy to Moderate.
- GATE EE 2020
- Difficulty Level: Moderate to Difficult
- Total Number of MSQs: Nil.
- Total Number of NAT: 24.
- Total Number of MCQs:33
- The General Aptitude section was Easy, and the technical section was Moderate.
14. GATE Electrical Engineering Cut-Off Over the Years
GATE EE 2023 cutoff will be soon released by IIT Kanpur after the result. However, candidates can check the previous years' cutoff mark to determine what they can expect for the current exam.
15. How to Apply for GATE 2023 EE Exam?
Candidates can apply for the GATE 2023 Electrical exam via the online mode. Registration process will be available in the first week of September 2022. You can refer the below steps to register for the GATE 2023 exam.
Step 1: To register for the GATE 2023 EE exam, candidates must first register as a New User.
Step 2: Visit the GOAPS website and login using the credential id and the password after registration.
Step 3: Candidates can start filling the application form. Select the number of papers to attempt the exam.
(Note: A candidate can undertake maximum 2 papers)
Step 4: Select the paper as the primary and the corresponding paper as a secondary paper.
Step 5: Choose maximum three exam centers corresponding to your location.
Step 6: Provide personal details like name, date of birth, father's name, phone number, email ID, address, nationality, gender, etc.
Step 7: Provide university details like name of university/college, university registration or college roll number, etc.,
Step 8: Upload your signature, photo, ID proof and select submit.
Step 9: Final step is to pay the application fee.
16. GATE EE Admit Card Overview
Do you want to know how to download the admit card?
Candidates can download the GATE 2023 admit card at the official website. The conducting authority, IIT Kanpur has announced that the admit card can be downloaded from 1st week of January. Refer the steps mentioned below to download the GATE 2023 admit card.
- Step 1: Visit the GATE official website.
- Step 2: Enter the login credentials and select Download GATE admit card.
- Step 3: Download the admit card in the pdf format.
- Step 4: Save the admit card and take a printout to appear for the GATE EE exam 2023.
The GATE Admit Card will contain the following details:
- Candidate's Registration Number
- Name of the Candidate
- GATE Exam Paper Code
- GATE Exam Date
- Exam Centre Code
- Exam Duration
- Candidate's Photo
- Candidate's Signature
- Examination Instructions
Take a look at the sample Admit Card below to have a better idea of how the GATE Admit Card would look like:
17. GATE 2023 EE Results
The exam results of GATE EE 2023 will be released in the 3rd week of March 2023. The qualified candidates can download the scorecard from the official website after the declaration of the results. Applicants can keep the GATE scorecard softcopy for the future reference. Below steps will guide you to download the scorecard.
The GATE score card is valid for 3 years. Candidates can use the GATE score to get admission in Post Graduate programs or employment opportunities in PSUs.
Listed below are the important details mentioned in the GATE score card:
- Step 1: Visit the GOAPS website.
- Step 2: Login using the id and password.
- Step 3: Click the GATE 2022 score card tab.
- Step 4: Click the download link and take a printout of it.
Following information will be available on the GATE scorecard
- Name of the candidate
- Registration number of GATE 2023.
- Gender of the candidate.
- Name of paper.
- GATE Score (out of 1000).
- Total Marks obtained out of 100.
- Validity of GATE score card.
- All India rank of the candidate.
- GATE marks for general, OBC (NL) and SC/ST/PwD
- Number of candidates appeared in the exam.
Have a look at the sample scorecard.
18. What is the Scope After GATE 2023 EE?
As the GATE electrical engineering is one of the popular courses among the engineering, there is an increase in number of students attempting the GATE EE exam every year. Once you have cleared the GATE 2023 Electrical exam with top grades, there are various opportunities that one can avail. Some of them include Career opportunities in PSU, master's degree after GATE, Research opportunities, and more.
Eminent PSUs like IOCL, BARC, BHEL, DRDO, and NHPC consider GATE score to recruit the qualified candidates for the post like technician, trainee, etc. They offer lucrative salary packages and many benefits to the individuals.
Besides the career opportunities, the GATE also provides an opportunity to pursue M Tech courses in top universities IIT, NIT, or IISc. You can choose your favorite institutes based on the academic interests and a valid GATE score.
After the completion of M tech courses, one can also opt for Junior and Senior Research fellowship in CSIR with a valid GATE score. You can earn a hefty stipend during the research period.
19. GATE Electrical Engineering Exam FAQs
Here are some of the questions that candidates mostly searched for. Have a look at them to get a clear understanding about the exam.
- Linear Algebra
- Differential Equations
- Complex Variables
- Probability and Statistics
Over to You
With all these crucial information regarding the GATE 2023 EE exam, students can understand the exam pattern, types of questions, marking schemes, and more. Start your preparation early as there are many topics involved in the syllabus. Make sure to manage your time effectively and revise the concepts thoroughly. This helps you to get the qualifying score.
All the Best!!
20. How VISHWA Can Help You?
Do you want to ace the GATE Electrical Engineering exam with good score? Join our comprehensive coaching platform VISHWA where you will get trained by the experienced professionals who guide you to follow success at first attempt.