How to Optimize Your GATE 2023 Civil Exam Preparation
Planning and following the plan are pivotal things to master the GATE 2023 exam. A well-planned strategy can enable you to prepare for your exam with ample time on hand, be thorough with what portions to complete cover and what needs more time, perfect your problem-solving skills, and much more.
Read this piece to know how to plan a GATE Civil Exam preparation strategy and ace the exam. Let's start with the GATE Civil Exam Pattern.
1. Go Through the GATE Civil Exam Pattern
The GATE exam is conducted for 3 hours and is a computer-based test (CBT). The online test series has 65 questions which are divided into three sections.
The GATE 2022 Civil exam pattern and mark allotment are categorized as
- General Aptitude - 15% of the total marks
- Engineering Mathematics - 13% of the total marks
- Subject questions - 72% of the total marks
The question pattern has multiple-choice questions, multiple select questions, and numerical-type questions. The multiple-choice question carries negative marks. If you provide wrong answers, 1/3 marks will be deducted for 1-mark question and 2/3 mark will be deducted for 2-mark question type.
2. Learn the Nature of the Questions Asked
Here are the types of questions you can expect in the GATE CE Exam:
- Comprehension: Questions under this topic will cover the fundamental ideas of civil engineering topics through which students will choose a simple conclusion.
- Recall: This question is based on the formulas you have learned in the concepts. You will be asked to solve the answer using such formulas.
- Application:Under this question type, you will get logical reasoning or computation problems.
- Analysis: This question tests your ability to analyze the given data and conclude based on a synthesis.
- Linked Answer Question: You'll be given a pair of questions where the second question can be solved only if the first question is solved. This type of question carries 2 marks each.
- Common Data Problems: In this 2-mark question, various problems are coordinated with common data through. Every question is different from one another and there are unique solutions for all the questions.
3. Gather the Resources and Study Materials
Studying with the right class notes is necessary. The resources can include books, lecture videos, online articles, etc.
- Choose standard textbooks instead of several local or foreign author books to avoid confusion.
- Check the credibility of online resources if you're going for one.
- Lecture videos from online educational institutions like VISHWA could be of immense help to students preparing for GATE Civil Exam. The industry experts at VISHWA explain even complex concepts in the simplest way possible.
4. Construct an Appropriate Study Plan
For instance, to build a house perfectly irrespective of the challenges, you need a blueprint or a plan. Likewise constructing a study plan is the first step towards acing the exam. So, how can you create such a spotless study plan?
Here are certain steps to effortlessly create a plan:
a. Always Start with the Syllabus
The most essential thing you need to do is to know the syllabus. It helps you prepare better and decide what to study first. Based on the syllabus, you can easily identify the important topics and prioritize them.
The GATE Civil Engineering Syllabus majorly includes the following subjects:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Structural Engineering
- Geomatics Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
Visit the official GATE website to know about the syllabus in detail.
b. Divide and Conquer
Once you're done with syllabus sorting, categorize the topics: from your most favorite to least favorite. This can help you escape boredom caused by studying repetitive topics. Taking tiny breaks while switching topics can help increase your concentration.
c. Follow Different Revision Tricks
- High-lighted source: While studying, if you have highlighted the key points, it will be much easier to revise the key points and understand the concepts in a go.
- Diagrams and Schematics: You will be able to recall the concepts easily depicted from the diagrammatic form. The story and colors help to stimulate your memory.
d. Practice, Practice, Practice!
As the GATE Civil exam carries various question types, make sure to practice each one of them without neglecting.
- Online Test Series: Online mock tests can help you increase your knowledge retention rate and even solve problems under a given period. Try timing yourself while solving subject-wise mock tests to speed up your calculation ability.
- Previous Year Questions: Research previous year question papers and note down the pattern and domain. Although same questions won't be asked in every year's exam, you can get an idea of how GATE prepares their question paper and learn the important questions among everything.
The illustrated strategies and tips can come in handy if you're preparing for the GATE civil exam 2023 on your own. Even with a well-sorted strategy, students can't score the expected mark in the GATE exam.
To make your preparation a guaranteed success, choose VISHWA to help you ace the exam like a pro. Our instructors are experienced and help increase your chances at obtaining great scores. Get in touch with us to kick-start your GATE exam prep!
VISHWA - Comprehensive GATE Civil Engineering Exam Coaching from the Comforts of Your Home!Register Now!
Blogs you might also like