Why is GATE Important for Mechanical Engineers?
Mechanical engineering is one of the toughest courses specialized in the design, mechanical devices, development, and engines. As a technical subject, this course opens a wide range of career opportunities making a tough competition in the field. This is where the GATE exam comes into play by making career opportunities much easier.
In this article, we've discussed why GATE is essential for mechanical engineers. Let's get started.
1. Master's Degree
The GATE exam is important for undergraduate mechanical engineers as it allows them to pursue a master's degree from leading institutes like IIT, NIT, IISc, and IIITs. Though it is not mandatory, GATE is definitely an added advantage when you look for job opportunities.
Most companies recruit postgraduates for their in-depth knowledge in understanding and delivering the project.
2. Campus Placement
Many esteemed companies hire mechanical engineers through campus recruitment. Top companies like Larsen, Maruti Suzuki, and Tata Motors recruit GATE-qualified candidates for the technical post. These companies are the highly paid recruiters of the domain.
Also, there is a higher chance that these technical posts are offered to candidates holding master's qualifications.
3. Ph. D. Admission
GATE exams provide an opportunity for mechanical engineers in Ph. D. admission. It is a leading academic degree in the field. You can use a valid GATE score to place your admissions in top institutions. Once students check the eligibility criteria, they can apply for Ph.D. admissions at their website. The following will provide the selection process for admission.
- Candidates with appropriate educational backgrounds and valid GATE scores are called for a test and a personal interview.
- Seat reservations are applicable for the SC/ST/OBC/PwD candidates.
Apart from the mechanical engineering Ph. D. programs, there are various disciplines:
- Ocean Engineering and Physics
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Management studies
- Electrical Engineering
GATE plays an important role for mechanical engineers in pursuing their careers in the research field. CSIR conducts a fellowship program that provides an opportunity for the candidates as JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) to explore the work. Additionally, you can also opt for SRF (Senior Research Fellowship) at the Bhabha Atomic Research center, Defence Research, and Development Organization, or Indian Space Research Organization with advanced technology and better stipends.
5. Public Sector Undertakings
GATE Mechanical Engineering is the most opted paper as it provides diverse employment opportunities in PSUs. They recruit for the post of Management trainee and Graduate executive trainee with a minimum wage of 9.65 LPA. In addition to that, you get healthcare services, extended leave, incentives, and more.
Various PSUs recruit mechanical engineers based on the GATE score. Some leading PSUs are:
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC)
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited (RINL)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- Gas Authority of India Limited
- Airport Authority of India (AAI)
6. Foreign Universities
Based on a reliable GATE score, mechanical engineers can pursue a master's from a foreign university. A master's degree will be beneficial while you seek a job in a foreign organization. Some universities in Singapore and Germany offer Ph. D positions for the candidate.
You can get admission into international universities like the National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University Singapore, Technology University of Munich, and RWTH Aachen if you've obtained the minimum percentile of 90 in the GATE exam.
7. Fellowship Program
Mechanical engineers can apply for the fellowship program at IIM. Candidates can obtain a monthly scholarship and yearly contingency allowance for this program. The following will provide the eligibility to apply for IIMs doctoral program in management.
- The candidate must possess a master's degree in mechanical engineering with 60% or should have a postgraduate diploma with a minimum of 60%.
- Integrated Master's degree program in mechanical engineering with 60% of marks.
- A professional qualification of CA, ICWA, or CS with a minimum of 50% of marks.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent with a minimum of 8 CGPA.
We hope this article gave some insights into the importance of GATE for mechanical engineers and its career path. GATE provides you with diverse opportunities and the importance of having an outstanding career.
Are you aspiring to get PSU jobs through GATE for mechanical engineering? At VISHWA, we train our students with effective teaching methods and make them clear the GATE exam with top scores.
Study Productively with VISHWA's GATE ME programRegister Now!